Homeowners Association Complaints

HOA Living

With nearly 3,000 homeowners associations in Nevada, chances are, you live in a community governed by an HOA. As a unit owner within a Common-Interest Community, it is important that you are familiar with your rights and responsibilities under Nevada law and the governing documents of your association. Education is the key to preventing problems before they occur.  If you have already purchased a home in an HOA and haven't read your community's governing documents and CC&R's, do so now!  If you are considering purchasing a home within an HOA, be sure you are familiar with the limitations and restrictions that may be placed on you by the association.

    Office of the Ombudsman for Common-Interest Communities

    The office of the Ombudsman for Owners in Common-Interest Communities and Condominium Hotels was created by the State Legislature in 1997. The office was created to assist homeowners and board members in common interest communities to better understand their rights and obligations under the law and their governing documents. The Ombudsman's office provides education, informal mediation regarding governing documents as well as investigation of disputes. 

      Filing a Complaint Against a Community Manager or registrant of the Real Estate Division

      • You must provide documentation of your attempt to resolve the issue prior to completing and submitting a complaint.
      • Complete a Form 514a,also known as a Statement of Fact Against a Community Manager.
      • Provide a complete and detailed sworn statement of your complaint.
      • Name all parties present during conversations or actions.
      • Use dates and time to indicate when conversations/actions took place.
      • Provide names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the events described in your complaint.
      • Provide substantiating documentation when possible.
      • You may hand deliver or mail your completed complaint form and attachments to the Compliance Section at the Nevada Real Estate Division.
      Note: A notary is available at no charge.  Please call first if you will require this service.

        Filing a complaint against a homeowners association board member or unit owner

        • Print Form 530, Intervention Affidavit. (If you do not have the ability to print, then contact the Ombudsman's office by phone or in person to receive a copy of Form 530).
        • Send a certified return receipt letter to the respondent detailing your complaint and a suggested resolution.
        • Wait 14 calendar days. Then attach a copy of your certified letter, exhibit #1, and a copy of the certified return receipt card to the completed Intervention Affidavit.
        • Mail, or hand deliver, the notarized Intervention Affidavit to the Ombudsman’s office.

        Note: A notary is available at no charge.  Please call first if you will require this service.

          Office of the Ombudsman for Common- Interest Communities

          3300 W. Sahara Ave., Suite 350
          Las Vegas, NV 89102
          (702) 486- 4480

          Quick Links