Step by Step Guide

Step 1: Create a Corporation, Limited Liability Company, Partnership or Sole Proprietorship Legal Organization (if forming a sole proprietorship or partnership skip to step two)

Corporations and LLCs must file Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization with the Nevada Secretary of State and maintain all records, minutes, etc., as required by law. You may go to their website and download the appropriate forms.

Commercial Recordings Division 

202 North Carson St.

Carson City, NV 89701-4201

(775) 684-5708

Commercial Recordings Division* 

555 East Washington Blvd, Suite 4000

Las Vegas, NV 89101

(702) 486-2880

*Expedited filings only


Step 2: Obtain a Fictitious Name Certificate (DBA)

If you plan to use a name other than your legal name, you must file a Fictitious Firm Name Certificate (Doing Business As - DBA) with the County Clerk's office to identify the owner(s). This applies to corporations and LLCs as well as sole proprietorships and partnerships.


Step 3: Obtain a State Business License

All businesses operating in Nevada must obtain a State Business License issued by the Nevada Secretary of State. The license is renewable annually. You may apply online or obtain the forms from their website (

For more information contact:

Nevada Secretary of State -Las Vegas Office

Grant Sawyer Office Building

555 E Washington Ave., Suite 4000

Las Vegas, Nevada 89101

(702) 486-2880

Nevada Secretary of State - Carson City Office

202 North Carson St.

Carson City, Nevada 89701-4201

(775) 684-5708


Step 4: Obtain a retail sales permit (If required)

Every new business must check with the State Department of Taxation to determine whether they need a resale permit, an exemption certificate, or are subject to use tax. A deposit or bond may be required. Check with the taxation department for fee payment and other information.

You may go to their website ( and download the appropriate forms.

Nevada State Department of Taxation - Las Vegas 

Grant Sawyer Office Building

555 E. Washington Ave., Suite 1300

Las Vegas, NV 89101

(702) 486-2300

Nevada State Department of Taxation - Henderson 

2550 Paseo Verde, Suite 180

Henderson, Nevada 89074

(702) 486-2300


Step 5: Obtain a local license

In the State of Nevada all businesses are required to obtain a business license within the city / county in which they operate. You may go to their website and download the appropriate forms.  Some cities may charge additional fees depending on the type of business.


Step 6: Obtain Special Permits (if required)

In addition to city and county licenses, certain businesses / occupations are required to obtain special state licenses (i.e. - contractors, beauticians, etc.). As a new business you may be required by the city or county to obtain additional permits from Health, Police, Fire or Building Departments. Inquire with the individual licensing agency for more information.

State Contractors Board 

2310 Corporate Circle, Ste 200

Henderson, NV 89074

(702) 486-1100

Public Transportation Permits 

Nevada Transportation Authority

2290 South Jones Blvd, Ste 110

Las Vegas, NV 89146

(702) 486-3303

Air Quality Permits 

Air Quality & Environmental Management

Government Center, 1st Floor

500 S Grand Central Pkwy

Las Vegas, NV 89155

(702) 455-5942

Nevada State Health Division: Health Care 

Health Care Quality and Compliance

4220 South Maryland Pkwy

Bldg D, Ste 810

Las Vegas, NV 89119

(702) 486-6515

Childcare Licensing Information 

Nevada Division of Child and Family Services

Bureau of Services for Child Care  

Southern Nevada -(702)486-7918 or email

Restaurants/Food Service 

Southern Nevada Health District

Ravenholt Public Health Center

625 Shadow Lane

Las Vegas, NV 89106

(702) 759-1000  (Click on Services, Environmental Health, Downloadable Information, Food Service)


Step 7: Insure you are familiar with all of the following:

Zoning Ordinances

To insure that you are in a location zoned for your type of business, check the city and county ordinances before signing any lease. For home-based businesses, verify if a Home Occupation Permit is required.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Every partnership, corporation or limited liability company must have an employer identification number (EIN) to use as a federal taxpayer identification number. Sole proprietors must also have an EIN if they pay wages to one or more employees or if they are required to file any excise tax returns. The EIN numbers are sometimes referred to as a Tax ID number. Businesses can fill out Form SS-4 online and get an EIN number quickly. See for full details.

U.S. Internal Revenue Service (Las Vegas Office)

110 City Parkway

Las Vegas, NV 89106

Telephone: (702) 868-5005 Toll free: (800) 829-4933

Workers Compensation

All employers are required to provide workers' compensation insurance for their employees. Contact your business insurance agent for further details. You may also refer to Nevada Division of Industrial Relations for further details. For more information contact them at (702) 486-9080 or visit their website:

Employment Security Department

This is Nevada's unemployment insurance. The business is assigned an experience rating based on the amount of unemployment claims that have been filed. For a new business, the rate is 3.0% of the gross wage paid to each employee. The amount of wage subject to the tax changes annually. For more information, contact:

Nevada State Employment Security Department Las Vegas Field Audit Office

2800 E. St. Louis Ave.

Las Vegas, NV 89104

(702) 486-0250

Modified State Business Tax

This is a quarterly payroll tax that is based on gross wages. The tax is paid to the Nevada State Department of Taxation. The tax is .5% of the first $62,500 of wages paid during a calendar quarter, increasing to 1.17% of total wages paid exceeding that amount.

NV State Department of Taxation - Las Vegas 

555 E. Washington Ave., Suite 1300

Las Vegas, NV 89101

(702) 486-2300

NV State Department of Taxation - Henderson 

2550 Paseo Verde, Suite 180

Henderson, Nevada 89074

(702) 486-2300

Nevada Live Entertainment Tax

A 10% tax applied to revenues derived from entertainment venues. Some of the taxable items include, ticket sales, merchandise, food and refreshments. Contact the Nevada State Department of Taxation for further details.

U.S. Internal Revenue Service W-4 Form

The law requires every employee to complete a W-4 form so that the employer can withhold the proper amount of income tax from each paycheck. For further information, contact the IRS at:

Internal Revenue Service (Las Vegas Office)

110 City Parkway

Las Vegas, NV 89106

(702) 868-5005

Toll free: (800) 829-4933

U.S. Immigration Service I-9 Form

All employers must also document proof of an employee's right to work in the United States. Every employee must have a properly completed I-9 on file in the business office.

Immigration & Naturalization Service

Employer Relations Officer

3373 Pepper Lane

Las Vegas, NV 89120

(702) 388-6908

Forms Request: (800) 870-3676

State Labor Laws

All employers must comply with the state minimum wage and overtime laws and must post a sign explaining these laws at their place of business.

State Labor Commission 

555 E. Washington Ave, Suite 4100

Las Vegas, NV 89101

(702) 486-2650

Personal Property Tax

All businesses must pay an annual tax on business equipment and furniture (excluding inventories) based upon the assessed value of the property.

County Assessor's Office 

500 South Grand Central Parkway

Las Vegas, NV 89155

(702) 455-3882